Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Tube

Tried to write a post last night about your progress. I was typing with one hand while holding your hand with the other. I was about half way through and I deleted it by accident. Whoops.

Past few days have been good. Progress. Grandy and Grandpa came into town to help with Olivia and Lance. They came straight from the airport to the hospital. You were a lot for them to take in. I seems that no matter how well I try to describe how you are and all the tubes that are going into you and all the machines that are helping you, one can't fully grasp it until they are right in front of you. It's a lot. Daddy and I see how far you have come and can see the improvement, but new comers still see a really, really sick boy. You are still very sick. But, you are getting better. You are definitely a fighter :)
I spent about 24 hours away from the hospital and you and Daddy this weekend. Olivia had a dress rehearsal and recital this weekend. She did awesome. She was Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, in tap shoes. It was cute. Olivia and Lance came to see you yesterday. Gave you love. Played upstairs in the playroom. Got tired out and went home.
The doctors discovered, through listening and X-ray that your right lung had collapsed and had fluid around it. So, you have been going through "respiratory therapy." They beat on your chest with a rubber pad, blow stinky medicine in your mouth and nose with a nebulizor, and put a mask on you that stimulates coughing. Then they stick a small tube up your nose and down the back of your throat to suck out any mucus you are not getting rid of. Yuck! Needless to say, you don't like the respiratory therapist :) But, you are getting more and more used to it so that you kind tolerate it now.
On a happy note, you are even more alert and yourself. Last night, after everyone else had left, it was just the two of us in the room together. I was talking to you and you suddenly lifted up your arm and pointed straight at the TV. I asked you if you wanted to watch TV. You nodded. I asked if you wanted to watch Toy Story. You nodded and smiled. Are you kidding? That was awesome!!! I was completely stunned and ecstatic. Later on last night you did more pointing, some clapping, and what I would call your dancing. You raise your hands above your head and kind of wiggle your body. It was so cool. So, we were dancing and cheering together. I am sure someone walked by the room and thought for a moment I was crazy then remembered where we are and that there is no such thing as crazy when you are celebrating your child feeling better. Even later on you seemed done watching Toy Story so I turned the regular TV on and started flipping through channels to find some cartoons. We passed ESPN. A Bowl game was on and your arm flew up to point at the football game. I asked if you wanted to watch football and you nodded and smiled. Your Daddy (and many others I can think of) will be proud :)
All in all things are going really well. I am seeing more and more of the William I have been missing so much. There are still little hiccups, but you are showing so much strength and will to get better that no one seems too worried. So, Mom, Dad, Olivia, and Lance are just trying to stay patient and endure being separated. It's hard work, but we can do it! We love you so much and just want you to get better and come home. Go, Team Russell!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear some more progress. I am also glad that Grandparents have arrived. What have you and Mark been doing? I don't know how you have the strength. I hope know how much we love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're cheering for Team Russell, too! Every day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Betsy ~

    Wow, how exciting that William is acting more like himself!!!

    I'm glad that you were able to spend some time supporting Olivia at her recital. I'm sure she really loved having you there.

    The respitory therapy sounds like it would be quite a sight to watch...they beat his chest with a rubber pad, eh?

    It's so awesome that there are some great things happening among the struggles. William is definitely stronger than anything that can be thrown at him...and you are too! =)

    Lots of Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete