Sunday, December 26, 2010

Superman

Hey, little booger. Watch out, this is a long post. . .sorry, don't know what happened :~

Well, we survived Christmas. It was good. Really good. Just different. But, you, Olivia, and Lance had a blast. Santa came to our room. I videotaped it. Priceless. Lance was jumping up and down with anticipation. Olivia was just as excited, but contained herself a little more than Lance. You seemed pleased with him too. He was very sweet. Came bearing LOTS of gifts. After he delivered the gifts and had hugs from all of us he leaned over to you and gave you some special attention. I saw real, true sympathy in his eyes. He said, "Hey William. I am sorry you have to be in here. You get better, okay?"

Olivia and Lance enjoyed opening their gifts and you opened yours too. Most of them we took home for you to play with when you get home. For now you seem to be enjoying the two pacifiers you got from your Kuhrau cousins. Now you have three. You suck on one and hold the other two in each of your hands. Pretty funny. All in all it was a good day. We all missed being together at home, but we were so grateful you were awake and alert and able to enjoy yourself.

You've gone on a few wagon rides in the past few days. You seem to enjoy them. Mommy and Daddy do too. We just wheel you around the unit. Today Olivia, Lance, and I took you to the playroom for the first time. Olivia and Lance are regulars there, so they were super excited to share it with you. When we got to the playroom you, of course, wanted to get out of the wagon. I scooped you up and carried you where you wanted to go. You sat in my lap and colored for a bit with Olivia and Lance. Then you wanted to go play on the floor with toys. You sat in between my straddled legs and played with toys. You were a lot stronger than the last time I did physical therapy with you (Thursday). You are getting stronger in lots of ways. You try to sit up in bed and can almost do it. You are complaining more too. Which is good. Who would have thought? You are getting tired of being in bed and having people poke at you. I am sorry, I laugh at your complaints. I am so glad to see you acting like a normal 19 month old :)

A little side note. . .I have failed to point out that your Dad has been here at the hospital every day, like me. But, the difference is, this is my job. I stay home with you every day and take care of you, while your Daddy goes to work to earn money to take care of our family. He had a good amount of time off saved up, but not enough for him to be gone this long. But, his bosses have been good to him. Very understanding and patient. He was able to get a laptop and do some work from here. We are very grateful and feel truly blessed.

On a medical note. . .you have had some stuff going on it that department. Imagine that. You still are having fevers. Still don't know what that's all about. Your surgeon, Dr. Silen, came in on Christmas. He ordered a bunch of tests to be done to cover any possibility of infection. You have had tests done on your urine, eyes, ears, kidneys, and lungs. All seem to be clear. Tonight you went in for your second CT scan. They wanted to check on the pockets of fluid that they saw in you abdomen from the first scan. They are still there. So, tomorrow you will most likely go to Radiology where they will put a tube in your belly and drain the fluid. They will then watch the fluid and see what grows. Depending on what they find they can then prescribe an antibiotic that will specifically get rid of any infection they find. That will take a few days. I am so grateful you are here and they are so vigilant in getting you better.

Went to church today for the first time since this all started. Olivia really wanted me to take her. It was good. I had a hard time not being too emotional. We have been going to church with the same people for almost seven years. They are like extended family to us. Their support is amazing. So, it was overwhelming to see all these people that I love and that I know love us and that have already done so much for us, but are willing and waiting to do just about anything. Yet, another blessing. It reminds me of the story of the Lord of the Rings. You will become very familiar with this story. One of the best stories of all time. In the end, the Hero of the story, Frodo, is spent, exhausted, and unable to finish the deed he set forth to do. He has given so much. He has nothing left to give. Yet, he is the only one that can do it. It is his burden that he has to bear. But, his trusted friend, Sam, who has stuck with him on his taxing journey understands an important truth. We cannot do it alone. So, when Sam sees Frodo at his bitter end he says to him, referring to the ring which is his burden, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you." We all have been asked to carry our own burdens. At times your burdens may seem too heavy to bear. Instead of giving up and succumbing to failure, rely on others. You will still have to carry the burden, but you can let others carry you. I feel as though I am being carried. Carried by so many loving people. Carried by a loving Father in Heaven. We're not meant to do it alone. Just like Frodo, you can be a Hero of your own life. I have seen many heroes through this experience. People who know what they do and who they are matters. People who aren't afraid to help. People who aren't afraid to be the best person they can. People who aren't afraid to do hard things. People who aren't afraid to fail. People who aren't afraid to love.

William, you already are a hero to so many. Keep fighting. Keep growing. Keep learning. Keep helping. Keep doing hard things. Keep loving. I will always love you right back, little superman!

8 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas - I am so glad to hear you had a good one. I'm sure these memories will stand out for years to come. Nate was telling me how much he loved reading blog. He said he knows I must love the our kids as much as you love yours and it makes him appreciate us all even more. He's never commented on anyones blog before yours. You have touched so many people with your encouraging updates and honest outpourings. It helps us all love you even more than we already did. That's a lot! I'm so happy to hear he's doing better. I'd love to come visit but want to make sure that's okay - I'll call you. LOVE YOU Betsy! Love you William!!! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy - You are my hero and I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're amazing! We're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Betsy! We continue to pray and think of your sweet William every day. You are doing an amazing job while William gets stronger. Your family is loved, and I know you will make it through these tough days and nights.

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May the year of 2011 bring a healthy little William back home to play and be loved by you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Betsy ~

    I'm so glad that William was pleased to see Santa and not freaked out like you feared he might be! I love to hear that he is getting stronger and anxious to get back to playing with Olivia and Lance.

    I hope that the next CT scan will bring you the answers you are looking for and get William on track to full health.

    The way you referenced the Lord of the Rings reminded me of the poem Footsteps in the Sand. I had never made that correlation before, but you illustrated it beautifully. It is a privilege to be able to be the Lord's hands on earth and help to carry you and your family through this challenging time.

    Lots of Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are so overwhelmed. I can see why. I think you may be overwhelmed a lot more positive energy as Will improves. What Janet and you said just made me think. Those arms are there to not only carry little guys in the hospital, they are there to carry momma's, and daddy's, and siblings too. I look forward every day to read about Will and your family. I think this blog is theraputic to everyone who reads it. I really think the Lord is using you as a vessel. You are all amazing!

    I <3 the Russel's

    Mary Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  7. I <3 the Russell's too! lol whoops

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are on my mind and I thought I would reach out into this cyber world and say HI! I am so excited to hear of Will's progress! How wonderful. Stay strong and know how much you are loved!
    Kim Souders

    ReplyDelete