Sunday, December 12, 2010

Boredom is a Good Thing

This weekend has been boring. Who would have thought I would be looking for boredom, but I am. It is a welcome sight. This reprieve, I am convinced, is because of all the faith and prayers from your loving friends and family.
The one big thing the nurses and doctors have been dealing with is your "itchiness." You are looking like you have ants in your pants :). They say it is a natural reaction to some of the pain meds you are on. I am sorry. You look terribly uncomfortable. But, in a way it is a relief to see you doing normal little boy things. I would much rather have you be itchy than have no blood pressure. Perspective, right? Our family and, it seems, everyone that knows us has had a huge dose of perspective since you came here. It is amazing the things I don't care about right now. You do know I love having control over things? I thrive on structure and predictability. Don't have much of that right now. But, I don't really care. All those little things that used to get under my skin, slide right off my back. Some days I would get so worked up about whether or not you were sleeping enough. Are you kidding? Today, I just want to see you smile. I am sure when you are all better and home and running around and climbing up on the dining room table or pounding on the keys of this laptop I will probably be worried about your sleep again. But, I hope that through this terrible experience I can come out on the other side with a little more continued perspective. I hope I won't get so worked up if dinner doesn't turn out, or if you won't eat the dinner I cooked for you. I hope I can see my life for what it has to offer and slow down and enjoy it a little more. I don't think I will ever be able to look at you the same again. I think I will forever more see in you hope, faith, and the tender mercies of our Father in Heaven.
I have also, this weekend, been struggling more with feeling down and depressed. The initial adrenaline has worn off. Daddy and I are not constantly at your bedside thinking that your heart might stop or your lungs collapse. Although we are still deeply concerned about your health and recovery, we are finding ourselves with more time to miss our "old" life. We just want you back. And we miss Olivia and Lance. It feels like we are getting past the survival mode and moving into the recovery mode. It's a marathon, not a sprint. You are getting better, but you still have a long way to go. We are here, little man, waiting and praying and trying to do whatever we can to help you. Keep up your hard work. Slow and steady wins the race :).

ILU!

10 comments:

  1. Betsey, What a blessed sunday for you guys to have a " Boring day" and just be able to take it all in. I Love the new music your sister put on your blog. The Rob Thomas song,
    Little wonders, was the gift I made my family last year I printed out the words and framed in a nice frame, so when I heard this song on your blog my heart was so full, as this song is extremely special to us too. I just wanted to tell you, how special it was that your sister gave everyone in RS an update, The way she talked about what was going on, and the love she feels for you and will made me just cry. Cry in a good way, you can see and feel the love she has for you & will, and what a special sister.
    I know you and your family just want to get your " old" life back, and who wouldn't.. I know you will! Keep Moving Forward..like you are
    I think of the time when you guys will see will smiling back at you, and pray that to be very soon for you all. Keep your faith my friend :)

    You are so loved Will! ..

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want you to know that we are here...praying for William and your family...the girls, Nichole and Jennifer are praying too. They are worried about their friend, Olivia...Jeni saw her at church and was very glad she was there :)

    Hugs...

    Lindy and Brad Shugart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will,
    Hi, this is Hailey, your cousin from Iowa. I just wanted to let you know that I know that you will be okay. Our family is saying prayers for you and Heavenly Father will bless you. I'm sure of that.

    Even though I haven't met you yet, I love you a lot.

    Love, Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep the faith. We're praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have a boring day! I have to say that the trials you are going through have also helped me to gain a better perspective on things. Isnt it amazing how many lives little William is changing from that hospital bed. We love him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We fasted for you today. We are so glad to hear the day was 'boring'. We love you. Will Power!

    Shane & Mary Boyd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, thank you for taking the time to write these words of comfort. It is interesting how reading your words strengthen and comfort me during your struggles. As I read your post today it made me think of one of Elder Bednar's talks in conference a few years ago. He talked about the "Tender Mercies" of our Heavenly Father. He said, "The Lord’s tender mercies do not occur randomly or merely by coincidence. Faithfulness, obedience, and humility invite tender mercies into our lives, and it is often the Lord’s timing that enables us to recognize and treasure these important blessings." I have no doubt that Heavenly Father is looking over little William and your family. Our Father has a purpose for each of us and it is our responsibility to discover that purpose and meaning. The Lord will not leave us alone!
    You have such a sweet family and I hope that you know how much I love each of you. You will always be a great friend to me and hold a special place in my heart. I am grateful that you can feel all of the prayers that are in your little William’s behalf. Continue to be strong and look for the “tender mercies” that our Heavenly Father places in your path.
    I love you!
    Michelle
    Here is the link to the General Conference talk by Elder Bednar
    http://lds.org/ensign/2005/05/the-tender-mercies-of-the-lord?lang=eng

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Betsy ~

    Having this kind of perspective is something that most moms don't achieve until they are grandmothers. At that point in life, they find themselves looking back and wishing that they had been less anxious about every little thing and just taken the time to enjoy their children more...you are way ahead of the game! =)

    This is definitely a difficult trial in your life, but it is wonderful that you can also see the beautiful blessings that are coming from it as well.

    This blog will be invaluable to you later in life. You'll be able to look back and help yourself "renew" the perspective you gained through the journey that taught you so much about what is truly important to you.

    It is awesome to know that William is continuing to make positive steps forward through this process...and to know that you are as well.
    Love & Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will's strength along with your families, has been a blessing to the Adams family! My heart is full of so much to say, but it doesn't translate into typing well. I've deleted and deleted. I just love and pray for you.

    Tassie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betsy, Thank you for sharing this part of your life, no matter how difficult it may be. Your family and your sweet little boy have occupied a good portion of my quiet thoughts since I got the news. You are a wonderful, sweet mother. So strong and faithful..an example to all who are blessed to know you. I signed up to help your family in Relief Society but I would love to do more. Let me know if you need anything at all. We are praying for you guys.

    Lots of love to you all!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete