Tuesday, December 14, 2010

So Much For Boredom

I told you boredom is a good thing. It is. No boredom today. Some highs, some lows.

I came in at about 11:30 this morning. Stayed at home and hung out with big kids. Got Olivia on the bus. I even went to one store to look for some Christmas presents. It's really hard to do regular things. The only thing that makes it bearable is if I am doing some regular thing for you or for the big kids. But being in "regular" places like stores is kind of painful. I can't fully describe it. I feel sad for the way things were. The way we used to go shopping together with Lance and Olivia. Running errands. I walked into Fred Meyer and wanted to cry. No one there knew that my little boy is in the ICU. No one knew. It makes me all the more grateful for friends and family that do know. This would be unbearable without that. It also makes me realize that at one time or another we all are bearing some kind of burden and others don't know about it. Makes me want to be a little more patient and kind.

Good news when I came to the hospital. They were going to extibate you(take out your breathing tube), in 15 minutes! Hooray! Overnight you had more fevers. They sent tests to the lab. They thought it might be a viral infection, which here in the ICU means, anyone that enters the room (except Mom and Dad) have to wear a gown and mask and gloves. Mom and Dad were banned from the kitchen:) All precautions to prevent spreading of a possible virus. This should hopefully only last for 24 hours. They had weaned you off some of your sedation meds so that you would be ready to breathe on your own so you were more alert too. The gowns and masks kind of freaked you out. It was a little amuzing to me. I loved seeing emotion on your face. All went well with the extubation. It was sweet to see your little mouth again. To see your teeth and lips. With all the commotion of extubation your artery line (kind of like an IV, but to your artery) came loose. The nurses decided to just take it out. You didn't really need it anymore. They also took out your catheder. Lots of tubes gone. Hooray! The biggest Hooray of the day and past 11 days for that matter was that your mother got to hold you today. Not sure I will ever be able to put into words how I felt. When you got into my arms you reached your weak arms up towards my neck as if you wanted to hold me closer. Heaven.

The rest of the day went a little downhill. You had to work super hard to breathe. The doctors and nurses tried a lot of different things, but mostly you just had to work through it. Right now, as I am writing this post I am sitting at your bedside waiting and hoping you will relax (in an appropriate way) enough to sleep. You are hugging your bear though :) They have talked all night about putting the tube back in. Still up in the air. One step forward, two steps back. How quickly I forget that. When I was holding you somehow I felt like maybe it was over, maybe it would just be a breeze from here. How quickly I forget.

Daddy got a card from his friends at work today. The front of the card said: The most beautiful stones have been tossed by the wind and washed by the water and polished to brilliance by life's strongest storms. You are my most beautiful William! We can do this!

5 comments:

  1. We're pulling for you William! You keep fighting and winning :) K?

    Nichole and Jennifer Gregory

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Betsy ~

    That is the most fabulous news ever to hear that you got to hold William! Your description of that sweet event brought the tears cascading down my face. I know exactly what it feels like to want to hold your baby and not be able to for so long.

    I also understand the pain you felt at trying to do something as normal as shoppping at Fred Meyer. I am sorry that you had to experience that. I am glad that those of us that are championing you and your family are a comfort during this difficult process.

    I know that it feels like an unbearably long time that you have been dealing with all the ups and downs. Thankfully, it does seem like the ups are getting the better of the downs these days and that is so awesome!

    Take comfort in knowing that there are literally hundreds of people praying for William and your family and that Heavenly Father is hearing all of our prayers!

    I love you so much, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite of your posts Bets - I can only imagine how you must have felt to hold him! He must have loved it as much as you did! It sounds like progress is slow but he's doing it - hanging in there and fighting hard. We love you so much. In a very small way I can relate to your Shopping trip. Whenever I go anywhere w/o the kids I feel like I need to wear a sign around my neck announcing I have 4 kids and that's why I look like this! No excuses - just need a little extra compassion and love and acceptance - we all do! Love you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Betsy,
    I LOVE reading your posts; thank you so much for your dedication to letting us all know how William is doing. There is so much love surrounding your family right now. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsey,
    Oh my.. What a Awesome Post! What a special day you got to hold will.. Heaven is so fitting for that moment. I loved reading this!
    Hooray that many tubes are out..
    This is my FAV post so far.. ( I love them all..though..) having will reach up for you..I am so grateful that that happened for you guys! Heavenly father sure loves this sweet angel. I felt so sad, when you said you went in to Fred Meyer.. tying to shop., knowing not one person there would know you little guy was in ICU.. I am grateful that I can at least post my little comment on here to let you know we think about you guys and will, as well as so many that we have told..
    Cant wait to hear more about his progress, I hope his virus is under control, and not worrisome..
    Much love to you all :)

    Andrea, Kaid, Kent, Karson

    ReplyDelete