Monday, December 13, 2010

Going, Going, Gone

Good Morning, Little Man. Had a good night last night. You are struggling a little with fevers. It's amazing, when children are healthy and running around at home and a fever strikes everything shuts down and the child is considered pretty sick. Here in the PICU a fever causes questions and action, but they are watching so many other numbers that they don't seem nearly as concerned as I would have thought. You were put on your fourth antibiotic. They said you will probably still be taking at least two of those antibiotics when you go home.

They also have given you a diuretic to make you pee even more and get the swelling down. In the last hour you have peed 300 ml of urine. They usually want you to pee 10 ml an hour, so I think you hit that goal. More like smashed it! It's amazing what your little body will do, even now, with just a little help from the doctors and medicine. Daddy wants to call you the "Barry Bonds of whiz." You remember that somehow Daddy hates the word "pee" and uses the word "whiz" instead.

In the next few days they hope to take your breathing tube out. Once it is out you can be fully weaned off your sedation meds and wake up more. They are also consolidating some of your meds so that you won't need so many tubes and other things poking into you. So we are getting closer to me being able to hold you. Oh my, what will that feel like? I'll let you know after I do :). Once that breathing tube comes out you can have your pacifier in a normal way too. I am sure you will LOVE that.

I am thinking, if everything else goes as planned, that after they monitor you for a few days the next hurdle with be digestion. I have a feeling that will be a slow process. But, I think that step will mean you are on the fast track home, so I think I can be patient.

You are more awake today. Before today you would only open your eyes for a second. Today you keep them open for a few seconds. You even track people as they walk around your bed. Your eyes seem glassy and unfocused, but it is still good to see them.

We have been in the hospital for 10 days. I am tired, but still full of hope. I am sad and lonely for you, but remember you and your goodness and sweetness. I don't know what the future will bring and how long you will need to be here, but I do know we will be home someday all together again.

I miss you, you little turkey.

5 comments:

  1. Betsy: Your words bring comfort and a peace as I read your comments. I love that you are talking with Will. I want to tell you a simple little something. My husband usually doesn't do well fasting, which causes him to be very careful about taking that step. But quietly on sunday he fasted. As simple thing for some, but for me to watch an amazing thing. Because of you and your family I was able to witness a quiet act of caring. We want to let you know you are in our hearts and minds... Love the Glems

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to tell you Tom doesn't have a problem with being obedient to fasting...it is just that it causes his stomach to give him problem.. No slacker...just a squimish tummy. I didn't want to leave an erroneous impression of this strong and handsome guy. Love again. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Betsy ~

    Wow, even the fact that you are talking about the worry of digestion is awesome! It is amazing that Will is that far along in his progression already. No doubt it feels like a long time coming for you though, I understand that. I am sure that you are just aching to hold him. I can't imagine looking forward to anything more than that!

    I have to tell you how beautiful the outpouring of love for your family was on Sunday. It was incredible to watch the sign up sheets overflow with people wanting to help. I have never seen anything like it, it was truly marvelous to witness.

    Know that you and yours are deeply loved! You have no need to worry about a thing on this end, everything is well taken care of.

    Love you so much, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am coming back to hold you and I will bring you a new binky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thrilled to check in after a few days and read good news. Your quiet strength is so apparent. Sending a hug....and lots and lots of prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete