Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pacifiers and Pee

Ha, ha. I am laughing at myself for that title. I can't help it though. Laughing is good. Those two words are a good theme for yesterday. Oh, yesterday. It was a good day. The best day so far. I needed that. I am sure you REALLY needed that. You had your nurse Diana. Diana was here on Saturday, your first full day here in the PICU and then back yesterday. She not only is the best at what she does, but she also is really good at bringing an additional calming presence to the room. She is very connected to you and watches you and knows what you need. So overall, it was a calm day.

Half way through the day we noticed with your new arousal that you were kind of chewing on the tube that goes down your throat and provides assistance in your breathing. Well, you are a pacifier man. You love your pacifiers. You call them a "pa," or sometimes a "pas." In the past few months you have started chewing on your pacifiers. You walk around the house and kind of roll it around in your mouth and chew and suck and chew and suck. I mentioned this to Diana and she immediately went and got a pacifier for you. You have had it in your mouth ever since. I took a picture (I am working on getting these onto the blog). Since you also have your breathing tube in your mouth you can't really suck, but you chew. It's cute. People walk by the room and just laugh.

You are more active. Moving around, opening your eyes, briefly. The nurses assure us that you are still heavily sedated, but the activity is good. The activity is good for your parents spirits too. That contact with you has lifted our spirits. Olivia and Lance were thrilled too. I told Grandma, over the phone, that you opened your eyes. She told Olivia and Lance and I then heard cheering in the background. When they came later yesterday to see you they were thrilled to see your movement. When you heard their voices you started stirring and lifting your hands and trying to open your eyes. It was awesome. Lance was saying goodnight to you and you opened your eyes a little. He said "William opened his eyes again!" I then said it was because of Lance. Lance then said "William opened his eyes for me!"

You had a good night too. Some blood work that came back said your cortisol levels were low, which is common in people that go into shock. Cortisol helps you to maintain your blood pressure. So, you are getting hydrocortizone and hopefully that will help you be able to slowing get off your blood pressure meds. You were suppose to go to surgery today, but the surgeons decided this morning that they would like to give you another day to rest and let you body regulate even more. So, surgery tomorrow.

Oh yeah, the "pee" part of the story. So the past 4 or 5 days you have increasingly become more and more swollen and puffy. Tuesday was probably the worst of it. All day yesterday you were like the incredible shrinking boy. You look like you today and that is because in the last 24 hours you have almost peed your body weight. . . 7 kilos. Way to go, little dude! Diana calls your pee "liquid gold."

Lots and lots of good the past few days. I am geared up for set backs in the future, but this time has given me renewed hope and strength. I am convinced that these past few "good" days are a result of all the prayers that have been offered on your behalf. I am so grateful for the outpouring of support and love. I know I have said it before, but I can literally feel it. This room is filled with the strength and love of Heavenly Father. He is aware of you and strengthening you, loving you, and allowing you to pass through this to make you stronger. You know, often times we think that when something bad happens to us that it isn't fair or we question what we did to deserve this. I don't think that, not for one minute. Life can't be wonderful unless it is also sometimes horrible. I have never felt as desperate or scared as I did last Friday night. But I don't think I have ever felt as loved and supported. I feel a closer connection to those I love, including you. And I feel closer to our Father in Heaven. I would have never chosen this experience, but I am deeply grateful for the blessings that have come because it.
I love you, my little darling. Keep up the good work :)

13 comments:

  1. I love you sweet Betsy. I'm so glad that Will is improving so much. This report sounds really good. Be sure to tell Will that we love him & we are praying for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous report Betsy! Oh so wonderful. Thank you for being such a truly special young lady. I know just how much your grandpa Ralph loved you- if he can do anything about William's recovery from the other side... he will do it! I am also grateful to be a part of your family- we are continually praying and checking on your little man. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. December 12th the whole Evergreen ward will be fasting for dear William. Betsy, Keep up your wonderful, faithful self. You really inspire me as well as many others.

    Our prayers are with you
    The Serra Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm imagining the squeals of joy coming from Olivia and Lance. What sweet moments for brothers and sisters! We love the Russell's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for creating a blog for us to know how you all are doing. There are so many people behind you, praying. I'm sure our Heavenly Father see's an endless crowd of people praying for him. Just know that you are loved :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betsy,
    Your words are so wise. You wrote, "Life can't be wonderful unless it is also sometimes horrible. I have never felt as desperate or scared as I did last Friday night. But I don't think I have ever felt as loved and supported. I feel a closer connection to those I love, including you." That is exactly how I feel about our 6 weeks in the hospital with Thomas. He just told me tonight that he is happy I called 911 so "those people" could save him because he didn't want to die. He said he wanted to be able to give me more kisses and hugs. ( : I'm certain your little Will feels that way about you! There are positives and negatives in such a big, life-altering experience like this but I think it's helpful to look for the good things that have already come from such a hard experience. One little possibly helpful suggestion - have you contacted the school counselor at Olivia's school? I did that with Bailey. She met with Bailey once and then Bailey never chose to go back but I still think it was a good thing to do in case she needed the support.
    Thinking of you,
    Becca (from Zumba)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thrilled to hear about the progress, and that you are feeling strengthened by those who are praying for you!! Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Betsy ~
    How awesome that Will is becoming more responsive to your voices. Even at Lance's young age, no doubt he will always remember how he felt when Will opened his eyes just for him!

    It's fabulous that you had such a good day and enjoyed some very special moments. The people who are praying for Will and your family grows by the hour. I'm glad you can feel our love and support, as well as that of our Heavenly Father who is certainly watching out for little William.
    Much Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved hearing about your day. You are all doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so wonderful to hear that Will had such a good day! I am emotional with every update (pregnancy hormones!) but I much prefer happy tears! These baby steps are so encouraging -- way to go, Little Guy!! We love you guys SO MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Progress is wonderful! I am so grateful for the tender mercies like Will's movement and eye openings to give you a little comfort and reassurance through all this. I have no doubt that your hospital room is full of angels!

    We are cheering for little Will and the rest of you from 800 miles away. Thank you for keeping the blog updated and letting us all share in your experience and faith. You are such an inspiration and I'm grateful to call you my friend.

    As always, we send our love!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  12. Betsy,
    My heart and love go out to you. You are one brave lady with a very strong little boy. I'll be following along with your beautiful blog and, of course, with your Mom.

    Love, Claire

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad that things are going better! I can imagine how much you would ache for that little boy to return. I love the pictures! Stay strong and keep up the good work Mama.

    ReplyDelete