Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Holding On

Hey buddy. I am exhausted. Not much sleep last night. Worrying about you. They didn't have to put the breathing tube back in. Yeah. But, you do have an in-between breathing tube. It goes up your nose instead of down your throat. It is not so invasive and doesn't give you as much support as the other. But you sound better than you did all day yesterday and last night.

Lots of anxiety today. We found out that you have a virus that is just like the common cold. But in the ICU a common cold can still be scary. So, masks and gowns for everyone but mommy and daddy. And you hate the masks. Your little eyes looked worried almost all day. You cried some too. You don't make any noise when you cry, just tears and a worried look. It is terribly sad. But, the reason you are crying is because doctors and nurses are doing stuff that they need to do to help you get better. The happiest you were today was in the arms of your parents. Daddy got to hold you today too. Very tender moment. And I held you for over 2 hours this morning and another hour tonight. Your heart rate drops to a more normal rate whenever you are being held. Tonight you actually reached up with your arms for me to hold you. So sweet. Because of the anxiety there isn't much down time for Mommy and Daddy. So, we are tired. They said we would be, but you just can't imagine it until your in it :). We would do anything for you though.

Short post tonight. Going home to be with Lance and Olivia. Godspeed, little man. Sweet dreams, little man. Oh, my love will fly to you each night on angels wings. Godspeed. Sweet dreams (from that wonderful Dixie Chicks song). Rest well tonight my little man. Your Mommy love you.

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like he is making little bits of progress every day. I'm so thankful for that. I'm also thankful that you're able to spend lots of time with Will. You are all in our prayers. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Priceless, Happiest when in the arms of your parents.. What a great day.. Still a long road for sure.. But sweet precious moments like this, is So neat to hear. You are Amazing Will! You have two awesome parents that Love you more than anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh betsy I am so happy that you got to hold him. my heart is full of hope and faith for you guys. we pray everyday for your whole family to have peace and comfort you need right now. I am sorry things are hard right now, its really true ICU is full of ups and downs. Praying that more up's are in your future. we love you guys to much. when you get to hold Will again give him a good hug from me

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Betsy ~

    I love hearing that William is able to be off the ventilator, that is awesome progress. It won't be long before he will be doing fine all on his own.

    Being able to hold him is certain to speed his recovery. Nothing better for morale than being snuggled by Mommy and Daddy!

    It brings the sweetest picture to my mind when I imagine him reaching up for you to hold him.

    How ironic is it that he isn't making any noise when he cries, just when hearing something from him would be nice? Like I always say, tuck that memory away for later when he and Lance are so loud that all you'd like is a little peace and quiet! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you finally get to hold William. I'm sure it is theraputic for both you as his parents, and for him. I can't imagine the heartache you all are going through. You are in our prayers daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought of one little piece of advice to pass along. Try to get time with your husband if you can. Jason practically forced me to spend a couple hours out of the hospital with him one night when Thomas was still in the hospital. We had his mother there with Thomas and Thomas was asleep. It was outside of my comfort zone and felt weird being out in public as if life were normal, as if everything was ok. But it turned out great - we were able to laugh and cry together. It reminded us how much we like each other and strengthened our connection so that we were better able to move forward and support our whole family through all the challenges that came after that. Sorry for going on and on. I just mean to suggest that you and your husband take at least a small break together if you can. I feel so deeply for what you are going through. I know you can do everything you will have to do to get through this, I just wish no one had to.
    Becca (Zumba)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, I just watched the slideshow and I just feel so overwhelmed with love for you and your sweet, beautiful family. I wish I could give you a big hug right now-just know that I am sending one your way :). I really just want to hop on a plane and come up there, if only it were so easy. I am so happy to hear that you and Mark have been able to hold Will and that he is progressing...that makes a whole world of difference. Get some good rest and know that we love you tons and are praying for you and Will everyday! -Nat

    ReplyDelete