Monday, January 3, 2011

Unanswered Prayers

Let me just start off the post by saying. . .YOU'RE COMING HOME!!!! Tomorrow. Tuesday, January 4. It is hard for me to comprehend and even get excited about it, because I can't believe it is going to happen. But it is. I think the surgeons feel that you will eat better and therefore get better at home, in your own environment. You will still have your feeding tube in. Daddy and I will have to give you formula at night to make up for the calories you don't take in during the day. I am a little apprehensive about that. But we will come back at the end of the week for a check up to make sure home is the right place for you. Home :)

I have been meaning to right a post about unanswered prayers from the beginning of all of this. I remember within the first 24 hours of us being here thinking about previous prayers of mine being unanswered and how grateful I was for that. There is a Garth Brooks song that you may never want to listen to because it is an "old person's song" :), but it has a good message. It's all about how sometimes we think something would be good for us and so we pray and plead with God for that something to happen. And we wait. And nothing happens. Not only does that something not happen, but we feel as if our prayers were unheard. I can tell you that it's not a good feeling to have. Ever since before you were born, Daddy and I were thinking about trying to sell our house and buy something bigger that we could "grow" into. So, we put the house on the market in August of 2009. Well, we finally took it off the market in November of 2010. During the time it was on the market we prayed it would sell. We were sad to potentially leave our wonderful neighborhood and friends, but felt like it was something that would be good for our family. We looked at homes about 20 miles north of where we are now. We even made and offer on a house that wasn't accepted. We showed our house a lot and always received wonderful compliments, but no one made a single offer. We were stumped. We couldn't figure out what we were doing wrong. I remember feeling a little abandoned by Heavenly Father because I couldn't find a reason why this wasn't happening for us. In November, the day we finally took the sign down, I remember feeling more at peace than I had since the sign went up. In the back of my mind I remember thinking, "You know, someday something is going to happen in our lives and I am going to look back on this and say, 'Oh that's why our house didn't sell.'" Something did happen. You got sick. And I am here to tell you that sometimes our Father in Heaven doesn't answer our prayers in the way we would like. Sometimes he needs us to wait. Because He knows what is best. He knew that our family was going to need our neighbors. I can't tell you what a comfort it is to know that we are surrounded by some of the kindest people on earth. I have literally felt protected by our neighborhood this past month. Heavenly Father knew we were going to need all of our dear friends at church. I can't imagine how lonely it would have been in a new neighborhood and with new church members. The burden has been made light by all our friends. I thought about how I may have acted differently that night I took you to the ER if we had been farther away from an ER. I may have hesitated or even waited. You wouldn't have made it through the night. I firmly believe that if we are trying to do what's right and to be good people and to follow God that he will not allow us to put ourselves or loved ones in danger. We always have the choice, but if we listen to His promptings He will always protect us. I know He protected you that Friday night and gave me a little push to that ER. He knew what I needed to get you there. And, I think, He knew we would need our dear, sweet home. It is home. Every other night that I have spent there this month I have felt safe and comfortable.
One of the lines in the song says, "Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers." I know that my Heavenly Father prepared us for this trial. He prepared us by surrounding us with wonderful, amazing people who have acted as His angels during one of the greatest trials of our lives. I don't think I will ever be able to express my gratitude to God and to all the people that have loved us and supported us and prayed for us. We have been recipients of some of God's greatest gifts.

I love you, little man. See you at home!

15 comments:

  1. Dearest Betsy ~

    How right you are that God works in mysterious ways...and what a beautiful blessing not selling your house has been! It seems weird to say that, but considering how difficult it would have been for your family to have just moved and have this happen, I am glad that the Lord had your back!

    I am very excited that you are getting to experiment with having William come home. No doubt he will do better in the comfort of his old beloved surroundings.

    Don't ever hesitate to ask for a hand. I know it will be wonderful, but I also know it will be tricky and extra help will come in handy. =)

    It's great to see that you are close enough to the top of your mountain that you're starting to catch a glimpse of the peak.

    Lots of Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Will, that is so exciting that you will be on your way home! Eat well for mommy and daddy, okay? It sounds like it will be nerve racking but worth it to be in your own beds. You will all be in the balance soon.

    Much Prayers,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOME!!! I love the sound of it...Even though it will be a potentially tough transition, it's still such a huge step forward. I'll be thinking about you all day and sending extra prayers your way. The most recent pictures of Will and the kids make me so happy. Ava sits at the computer until we make her leave replaying your little slideshow over and over and singing along to the the songs. It's funny how the words from certain songs can be such a strength and comfort and put into words just exactly how we feel sometimes. I don't think I'll ever hear any of THESE songs again without thinking of William Russell. Love you, Bets!

    Truly,
    Tinah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can sure relate to your house-selling story...

    I'm thrilled that Will is coming home today! Can't wait to hear how things go for your sweet family. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for you all! We love you and are so glad things are on the upswing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats and good luck Betsy!! We love you and will keep praying for you as you bring sweet little William home. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Home sweet Blessed Home! What a boost for the spirits! I feel so happy for all of you, and I'm feeling anxious for you. You still have help through the next chapter of all this. William is in our thoughts every day.
    Love,
    Tassie

    ReplyDelete
  8. HOME! what an amazing blessing. I can hardly wait for you guys to be all together has a family under your protected roof. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father gave you these blessings with the house and you are close by still. I remember when the house was for sale and how frustrating that must have been.

    I know the journey isnt over with William but like Janet said you are at the peak! Its been great to share in the story so far and watch you're testimonies grow the last 4 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad Will is home, and that you and Mark are his parents, and that you have your beautiful, familiar, comfortable home, neighborhood and ward. I know this has been so hard, but you've done everything you could for your sweet boy. And now - he's home. And he'll get stronger and stronger every day. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so happy for your family and I am ashamed to admit that I was glad that your house didnt sell...our ward would not have been the same without you guys.

    Now I can completely agree that Heavenly Father was doig what was best for you, which we all know is what He does. He knows all and will guide us to where we need to go. It was not the time for Will to go back to his Heavenly home and therefore the time was not right for your family to move.

    The strength your family has shown through all of this has been truly inspirational. It has blessed our ward and brought us all closer together as a ward family. Congratulaions to you all!

    PS: Remember that I have almost a year of personal experience with Dallin with a nose hose. Not something one likes to do, but necessary if you want to be home! Let me know if you need anything, even support.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I am so happy for your family! Yes, the Lord does hear and answer our prayers, even if we don't get the answer we expected. He knows what is best. It was so good to see you and Mark at church the past 2 Sundays. You both look great. The Lord has been strengthening you both as well as William. Let me know what our family can do to assist yours. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! What a great surprise! I've been wishing I could find a good way to help but figured you would ask if you really needed anything. I hope you know that you still can always ask for ANYTHING! I am thrilled to read this happy news! Lance and Olivia must just be so happy to have their baby brother back. We'll keep praying for him until he's totally out of the woods! Hang in there - I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy for your family, Betsy! And thank you for your blog: it has been a great testimony builder. Everything you wrote has left a mark in my heart. You words and your experience have laid bare my biggest fears and my highest hopes. Give William a big hug and... welcome home!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just a little bit of wisdom I have gleened over the years from other mom's who deal with feeding tubes.... Put something plastic under the iv pole and tube. They sometime leak.

    I am so glad to hear you are home. Keep your chin up and alway remember that Heavenly Father is with you, but also keep in mind that you are not alone in your struggles too. There are some amazing yahoo groups. It may help to see if you can find one. They are great resources or strength and knowledge.

    Marcella

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful surprise! Betsy, What a blessing to have William back home, with the family all together again. I know you are in my thoughts and prayers and know you have the support and love all around you.
    I'm glad you didn't sell your house either. I thought it was just for selfish reasons...lol
    Just promise to ask for help when when needed. William needs you as do Olivia and Lance. So let the others help with the mundane day to day things that need to get done.
    Stay stong, patient and get some rest when you can. Hugs.
    ~Yvette

    ReplyDelete