Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sacrifice

Still home. Still very grateful to be here. This past week and a half is one huge blur. The days all meld into one and sometimes the minutes even do. Last night I slept for four hours straight. It was the longest stretch I've gotten since being home. Our days are focused on keeping you safe, happy, and healthy. And any extra moments are used up on trying to make up lost moments with Olivia and Lance. But it's all worth it little dude. We love you and just want our William back. And every day we get little pieces back to make it all worth it.
We went back to the hospital for our follow-up appointment yesterday. It was a little disappointing. You have lost weight since leaving the hospital. That's not good. You don't have much to spare and gaining weight is a good indication that you are getting better, getting stronger. The dietitian put you back on a "full-feeds" diet. That means that you get all of your calories from your tube and anything you eat by mouth is a bonus. We will return to the hospital again on Tuesday for another weight check. Then, in two weeks we will meet with the surgeon again and they will hopefully set up an appointment for your final surgery. Your surgeon estimated that would be sometime at the end of February.
I think these past 10 days or so have obviously been a transition for us all. But the transition has been slightly different for each of us. I thought maybe I would give you everyone's perspective about being home.

LANCE
Hey, Willy-wum. I am so glad you are home. Did you know that every prayer I say, even if it is at breakfast, I thank Heavenly Father that you could come home. I am so very happy to have my little brother home. Playing cars and trains is more fun with you, even if I have to share. When you first came home it was kind of hard because you didn't even want me to be close to you. I like hugging you and kissing you and that was kind of a bummer. But, today I leaned over and kissed your hand and you didn't complain! I told Mommy because I was very excited. You must be getting better. I love you and would love to play hide and go seek with you sometime soon. So keep getting better, okay?
OLIVIA
William, I love you. The day you came home from the hospital seemed like Christmas, but even better. When I got off the bus you were waiting on the porch for me. I was so happy, and so excited. The first little while was great. We were all together, at home. But, soon I was sad. I didn't really understand why. But, you were home, and I was sad. Mommy and I had a talk and I realized that I had expected you to come home totally better, but you didn't. You are still really sick. You can't walk. You don't really even crawl much. You have a tube in your nose, a bag on your tummy that is gross to look at because it has poop in it, and a big owie there too. I don't really like seeing that either. It's hard. I love you so much. I love cuddling with you and playing and giving you love. But with all your stuff, it's hard. I think it must be hard for you too, because you don't totally love hugs yet. William, I am glad you are home. I just want you all better. That will be a good day.
DADDY(in Mommy's words :))
This really sucks. I really hoped you would make more progress at home. And I really hoped your last surgery would be sooner. Mommy and I (and you too) are so sick of your ostomy bags leaking and having to be changed, a lot. I love you, little man. It's so hard to see you like this and to have to do things to help you get better, but that you totally hate. I am so grateful for you and your strength and your sweetness. I just pray that I can give you all that you need to help get back to being Will.
MOMMY
I feel like everyone else. Although I knew you wouldn't be all the way better, I thought you would get better pretty fast at home. I couldn't have imagined that it would be this hard at home. But, I also couldn't have imagined how good it would feel to hold you and hug you and kiss you and have you smell like my kid, not like a hospital. The past few days when I get up close to your face with mine you reach out and pat or caress my cheeks. It melts my heart. In order to appreciate the good, we have to see the bad, right? Oh, and the good is so good! It's totally worth it. Sacrifice. I think as human beings sacrifice is critical. We grow to love more deeply the one's we sacrifice for. Through sacrifice we learn that we are capable of so much more than we thought possible. I never thought I could love you more and I never thought our family was capable of doing these hard things. But, I do love you more, and we did do hard things.

Fatten up, little light-weight!

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Betsy. Sorry it's so very hard! I wish I could help somehow! Hang in there!

    P.S. We're expecting #5...in August. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you wrote. I've been checking every day. No pressure - I know extra energy and especially emotional energy are probably not on hand. (I didn't write on Thomas' CarePages for over a week and now I'm doing it again.) I cry every time I read your blog, even if it's good news. I don't know exactly why but probably just for how hard it's been (for both our families) and how strong we've had to be and with relief that we both still have our sons. I've found it to be challenging to balance those feelings of relief and awareness of all the positive with my fears and disappointments. I think it's important to be positive but also not to deny the negative parts of it all... and I think you do that so beautifully in your blogs! Please let me know if there's something we can do for you. My number is 828-4676 and my E-mail is beccakeen@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy, your strength amazes me. You and your sweet family have gone through so much. I am so happy you are all at home together. Thank you for sharing this blog with me. I have learned so much from you the past month. I am so happy Will is getting better, even with the small setbacks. Remember I am always here for anything. Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will get better, it almost always does. He will do better on full feeds until his little body remembers that it is more fun to really eat than have the NG tube in all the time. We are still praying for you and sending love your way. Dallin asks me all the time about William...he feels a special connection with him...maybe through the nose hose?

    You are all doing beautifully and exactly how you should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Betsy ~

    You are so right on when you say that you can't truly appreciate the better times in life without the times that are difficult.

    Even though it seems far away to think of William's surgery being at the end of February, when you think back to when you were in the thick of him making it to the next day, all you can do is cry with joy that he is with you.

    It's so beautiful to see your perfect understanding of this concept and witness your gratitude, even through the most challenging of times.

    You are motivating and inspiring those whose hearts you touch every day and your efforts are a treasure. It is your strength that keeps the rest of the family going in a positive direction with their feelings about this whole situation.

    Heavenly Father has blessed you with many gifts and talents and it is amazing to see such an incredible woman in action!

    Lots of Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sacrifice is something your beautiful little family has had plenty of. Hopefully you will all be relieved of more and more stress each day. No matter what, it's not in your control and I'm sure that makes things even harder. I just pray that you will all have peace in your hearts and that your patience will grow stronger. Will is getting better each day and I am so excited for you all. William, do like mom and dad says and eat, Eat, EAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine how tired you are. I can't imagine the struggle that it has been for all of you. You amaze me with your strength. That is the hard thing with sickness and struggle. Just when you think something is going to be great it takes longer and longer to get to where you want to be. I wish that it was not so. I hope for you that it speeds up a little though! Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Betsy,
    I pray for you and Mark to keep up and have the strength you need. You amaze me. I find so much encouragement at being a mom through your example.
    I hope there is something I can do to help. Please ask if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete