Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Groove

Been home for over two weeks. It really feels like bringing home your first baby from the hospital. A lot of transition. A lot of sleepless nights. A lot of melt downs. But, sure enough, everything gradually evens out and you get into your new groove. We are getting there. We went to the store today and it was pretty normal. I don't ever really stop thinking about the fact that everyone is wondering why you have a tube up your nose. But, no one says anything. I don't think it would bother me though. I know people are curious. I would be. I don't think there is any harm in asking. But that is me. I know other people in this same situation would be mortified to be asked. I guess you never know unless you ask.
We went back to the hospital yesterday for a weight check. You gained a pound and a half in the past week. Way to go, little dude! Since our visit last week you have been fed entirely through your tube. I am giving you a formula that is very broken down and easy to process and filled with all the nourishment you need. I could see a difference in you within the first 24 hours of having you on "full feeds." You had more energy, were happier, and just seemed better. Throughout the week your face even filled out a little and your eyes got a little more sparkly. So, the dietitian said you needed to stay on the same diet for the next two weeks. At that time, we will go back for another visit and hopefully schedule your next operation. It's good to see the light at the end of the tunnel. It is good to be moving towards that light. It is unexplainable how much joy it gives me to see you "coming back."
You are even trying to walk a little. You are like a toddler who is first trying to walk. You cruise along the couch and then try to take a step without support and then crumble to the floor. You crawl everywhere and play and laugh and do regular little boy things.
Progress, lots of progress. It feels so good. As we were driving to the store today I was caught up in a swell of unexpected emotion. I realized, with a surety, how completely content I am. It may sound crazy at a time like this, but it's how I feel. I feel like a different or changed person from before all this. I don't care about so many of the things that used to keep me from feeling settled or happy. I can see clearly what is really important to me and I have all those things. People in my life that love me and that I love, health, a comfortable, loving home, my faith. All the other little petty things seem crazy to me now. A weight has been lifted. I can now see my life for what it truly is. I see all the good and recognize that the bad really isn't all that bad, just silly. So, thank you little man. Thank you for being my little man. Thank you for being so strong and valiant and brave. Thank you for helping your mother to learn a few important things about life.
Keep moving forward. We are all behind you, cheering you along!!!

6 comments:

  1. I'm very happy for the update...and that it's mostly positive! Go Will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're all doing GREAT! I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Betsy ~

    What a beautiful tribute to William that you have described here. In later years he will be able to look back and read about the immense worth that his struggle brought to the whole family.

    I love that you are feeling content with your life, that means you truly have the right things figured out. It must feel great to have arrived at that place. Your actions as a mother will be forever changed and altogether better because of your insightful thoughts and feelings about this experience, what a marvelous blessing.

    It is wonderful that William is gaining weight and because of that is feeling more alert and active. It is fantastic to learn that he is becoming strong enough to try out his walking legs!

    I'm sure that with the awesome cheering squad he has at home, he will be cruising around in no time! =)

    Lots of Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee! That sounds like huge improvement and I'm so happy for you all! We love you. Keep hanging in there - I know you still are pulling mommy and nurse duty and you must be exhausted but I bet William appreciates you more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy,
    I want to share something written by a man whose son was in the hospital for a couple months. He wrote this after they'd gotten home. His name is Mark Lilly and it says very well what I've been feeling and you may be able to relate too. "I felt altered, my genes' structures changed, my cells' expectations shifted, my brain's fleshy morphology literally transformed. I beheld and understood everything with my new biology, cherishing events that seemed odd when I tried to explain them to others..."

    I'm so happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction for William.
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  6. A pound and a half! That is so fantastic! I just love your family so much, and I'm glad to hear everything is on the upward movement!

    ReplyDelete