Sunday, February 20, 2011

Miracle

Hello, my sweet William. I miss writing to you. I don't miss the solitude of a hospital room, but I do miss the quiet time to write and reflect on life and miraculous you. But, I am so deeply grateful that I have the chaos of our home and life. I find a deep sense of joy by just simply watching you walk (and try to run) throughout the house. The littlest thing makes my heart swell with gratitude. The other night all five of us were sitting on Olivia's bed reading books, getting ready for bed. I took a mental picture. It's so good to be together. It's so good to be healthy. It's so good to be happy. We are happy. I know that Daddy and I have never experienced the fatigue that we feel. And I think we all feel the stress of your illness. But we are together and so very happy to be.
So, updates. . .We went to the hospital on Friday for a few pre-op things. The did a barium enema. That means they put special fluid up your rectum and then took an x-ray of your large intestine. They did this in order to make sure your intestine is all clear, that there aren't any further blockages. All was clear. They also did a biopsy for Hirshsprungs disease. We will get those results on Tuesday. You did pretty well through it all. They had to give you some Versed to calm you down. They had to poke you about five times until they found a good vein for an IV. Then they put you in a "Deep sedation" so you would hold still for the enema and x-ray. You weren't happy to be there, but we survived.
As we drove home together I realized that we have less than two weeks until your surgery. I am very anxious for you to be put back together, but I actually got a little emotional thinking about the whole thing. I don't want our family to be split up again. Even though it will be better than our last visit to the hospital it is still the hospital and there are still risks. Thank goodness for prayer. It is bringing me a lot of peace. And I know we are on the flip side of all this. I know that it could be worse. I know that we are so very blessed. I am so very grateful for all of that.
I have been telling everyone that our William is back. You are who you used to be before all this, except you have a nose tube and an ostomy bag. . .but not for long. It is wonderful. It is a miracle. It is an answer to our prayers. I taught a Sunday School lesson today at church about the miracles Jesus performed while on the earth. In the lesson it talked about all his miracles, but then also said that there are miracles today too. You are one of those miracles, little man. You have shown us all that God is real and that he loves us and will comfort us and watch over us. He may not always take away painful experiences, but he will always bring peace to us and help us grow and learn from our trials. I feel blessed. I feel loved. Know that you are such a blessing to me and you are loved by so many. I probably won't write again until we are back in the hospital. . .so, until then, play hard, stay healthy, and enjoy your brother and sister ;)

xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxo

6 comments:

  1. We will keep you in our prayers for an uneventful surgery and that there will be no complications. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear he's still improving. He really seemed as good as ever last Monday night. He kept wanting to jump off the ottoman to me! It made me happy! Thanks for letting me come spend time with your super kids - they are great! You are great!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for your family!!! The Lord is listenning to our prayers. I see the miracles all around us and acknowledge His hand in our lives. We love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it a feeling of the miracles in our lives when we can look back and not only see where we have been but how far we have come and all of the little blessings that add up to giant miracles? We have loved seeing your whole family back at church!

    So happy for you all!
    Casey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Betsy ~

    What a wonderful experience teaching that Sunday School lesson must have been! To be able to share your testimony of the real life miracle that is William today and the reality that Heavenly Father is directly watching over him and your family...as He does with us all, if we'll only take the time to see it!

    Thank you for the reminder to be grateful for the small things and helping us see that they are miracles too.

    Lots of Love, Janet

    ReplyDelete